Saturday, May 14, 2011

Why would an expat want to live in China for a very long time


Why would an expat want to live in China for a very long time?
Some people that are "expats" that live in China, no longer feel like an expat. Reasons: they have family members there (Blood and/or marriage). To me I have a second hometown in China, in the Shandong Province. The locals treat me as if I am long distance relative...(regardless of my appearance) Therefore as some Chinese call the USA their home some "Expats" call China/HK/Macau/ Taiwan their home. citizenship does not matter in this emotional construct
China - 6 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Confuses me
2 :
I think its because the standard of living is far cheaper in China for them.
3 :
Hi from Beijing! I'm not an expat as you know but I asked similar question a while ago. I'm interested in who would answer this question and what kind of answers you may get. Cheers!
4 :
I'm an ex pat from the USA and the reason I like it here, is (gulp) I feel freer. I do not fear walking out late at night. I do not fear a terrorist attack. I do not fear the IRS or China's tax collecting agency. I don't make enough to pay taxes here. My wages are more then average. Plus if I do get to the point of having to pay taxes, it appears their system is miles away easier to deal with (and keep in mind, it's in Chinese) I do not fear that I will have something in my bag that is illegal when I walk into a government building, because no one pays attention to it. I do not fear that every step in the city I live is being recorded by 9 gazillion camera's. I do not fear being tazered by some over zealot rent-a-cop. I do not fear this country will go to war. I do not fear police dogs because I never see them. I do not fear a knock at my door. I do not fear the police. I do not fear the military. I do not fear those in authority. I do not fear I will be sued for anything under the sun. I do not fear my boss. I do not fear my students (I'm a teacher -- think about that for a moment) I do not fear I will be thrown in prison for speaking against the government privately. I do not fear that some right or left wing nut will punch me in the face for voicing an opinion (but I find the Chinese people, for the most part, don't give a $hit about politics) I do not fear people will blame me for for their problems because of my ancestors or countries past deeds. I do not fear I will not have enough food on the table. I do not fear for my future. I do not fear I won't have money in my pocket. I do not fear angry hateful people because they are virtually non existent. I do not fear I can't watch the shows I loved in the USA because most are on DVD. I do not fear the food here because it is usually natural, healthy and cheap as hell. I do not fear the air quality here because I live in the central part of China and the air is pretty clean here. I do not fear water pollution because the river that runs through town is clean. I do not fear the government because they have been consistently friendly and helpful. In short, I now live with lack of fear. Now do you know why I intend to live here? ============== I make $500 a month and I pay a maid to come in once every other week to do the heavy work. ============== Peace Jim .
5 :
Because being an expat, you earn more money. First, you earn much more money than a local Chinese. If you get paid for USD800 per month as a University Graduate and trying to live the way you currently live, you may not want to stay in China forever. Second, you properly get a good life there in China, as compare your home town. Can you afford a domestic maid in your home country? A domestic maid who cook, wash, iron, etc, in Shandong may cost you say USD500 per month. Can you afford that in your home country?
6 :
just plain jim is right. America sucks!






Read more discussions :