Friday, December 7, 2012

I heard a lot of stereotyping that Han AKA Mandarin people, who mainly live in China, are racist


I heard a lot of stereotyping that Han AKA Mandarin people, who mainly live in China, are racist?
Even though I am a Han AKA Mandarin, I am NOT racist. Is this from supposed mistreatment of Tibetans and other ethnic minorities in China?
Other - Cultures & Groups - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I never heard of that. Can you give examples.
2 :
Well, I'm moving to China in a few months and I have a couple of African friends who live there and/or travel there quite frequently. What they said was that, yes, the Chinese as a collective whole have a dislike and distrust of all foreigners, not particularly blacks, but blacks in particular if that makes sense. They did say that once you become a part of of the community (i.e. they see you frequently and you get to know the people) they start to open up but they still think of Chinese as better than others though, my friends felt, that most Chinese don't really have a concept of what racism is and there is no real word for it in Mandarin or Cantonese. I think this comes from being one of the homogenous societies on the planet. I think China is something like 96% Han. They have had good experiences in China and have not experienced any more overt racism there than in the US so I don't know that you guys are more racist, just great deal less diverse.
3 :
A lot of people I know who are Buddhists like myself have some issues with the Han because of Tibet. That's the main stereotype I know of. The Han, they say, took all the good homes, good jobs, good schools, etc., and left nothing for the native Tibetans. But in truth, it's the Chinese government we should have a problem with. The people of every nation just do what they're told. With metta.






Read more discussions :